Subject: Re: Frozen system with NetBSD 1.6_BETA1
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 06/16/2002 18:22:50
At 16:48 Uhr +0200 16.6.2002, Matthias Scheler wrote:
>has anybody else observed a frozen system with NetBSD 1.6_BETA1(*)?
>For the second time now my system got unresponsive during heavy
>filesystem activity. It still responded to ICMP echo packets and I
>could switch the virtual console but it was complete stuck otherwise.

I have seen such a thing on a ss10 running NetBSD 1.6_BETA1 during periods
of heavy disk and adsl activity (cvs update from anoncvs.netbsd.org), but
not since I disabled softupdates on all mounts.

I have experienced similar problems on the servers at work that went away
with removing 'softupdate', and have come to regard softupdates in NetBSD
as 'experimental', like, say, unionfs.

YMMV,
	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign       "They that can give up essential liberty
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email          to obtain a little temporary safety