Subject: Re: ntpd run as ntpd can't set time of day
To: Aidan Cully <aidan@kublai.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/2002 22:37:17
    Date:        Sun, 9 Jun 2002 21:23:41 -0400
    From:        Aidan Cully <aidan@kublai.com>

  | This bit me too, and it took me quite a while to finally figure out
  | the solution.  I think /etc/defaults/rc.conf needs _some_ mention
  | of pseudo-device clockctl...

Better would probably be to have the rc.d/ntpd script check that it
exists, and can be opened, before allowing ntpd to start in a chroot'd
(non root run really, the chroot doesn't affect things) environment.

That way it could print a sane message whenever things are wrong (even
if a new kernel is booted after an upgrade, when no-one thinks to go
check what is in /etc/defaults/rc.conf).

kre