Subject: Re: Simple thought...
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20020607T164810@wsrcc.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/08/2002 18:49:05
Is this with 1.5? Note that bufpages is only used for metadata
with UBC (which is in 1.6+). What is your kern.maxvnodes setting?
It should be high enough to support caching of significant
enough number of files.

The formula I've got from Bill the other day was:

approx-number-you-want-to-use-for-buffer-case / approx-file-size

i.e. with 256 MB used for buffer cache and 4KB approx file size,
this gets kern.maxvnodes (see sysctl(8)) to optimum value around 65536.

Jaromir

--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org> http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/i386/ps2.html