Subject: Re: quick build.sh question
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/2002 00:36:24
--1ccMZA6j1vT5UqiK

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 12:21:34AM -0400, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> *) cp -rp the entire tree from the -D dir into / (possibly overwriting
> files)

Gah. cp(1)'s -p is historically unsafe. Ours may actually be fine,
but I really wouldn't trust it. If you really must move files
around, do something like:

  tar xf - . | ( cd todir && tar xpf - )

or (it's easier with pax(1)):

  pax -rw -pe fromdir todir

> *) boot single user mode and run sysinst from the -R dir and install from
> 'local disk'

This'd be as close to a recommended method as we get. Installing
from the snapshot sets is exactly what you would do if you'd
downloaded an "official" snapshot.

But I'm lazy and don't use sysinst. Rather, I just boot to single
user and do something like this:

cd /
sh for i in $RELEASEDIR/binary/sets/{base,comp,games,man,misc,text}.tgz \
do echo $i ; pax -r -pe -z -f $i ; done

(Note the important lack of etc.tgz and kern.tgz there. I always
install my new kernel first, boot, and run with it for a little
while first to make sure nothing's horrendously broken, and I'm not
a huge fan of sysinst's update method for /etc, moving it to
/etc.old and installing the new one, but maybe I touch more in /etc
than most.)

> *) re-run build.sh w/o the -R or -D flag (which will in turn run 'make
> cleandir') which will be very time consuming.

Neither the fast nor the safe way to go about live. (It's almost
always a bad idea to install on a live system.)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--1ccMZA6j1vT5UqiK