Subject: Re: What am I supposed to do with usr.sbin/config ?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jim Breton <jamesb-netbsd@alongtheway.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/2002 18:49:01
On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 07:36:32PM +0100, Ben Harris wrote:
> That won't work:

I'm sorry, my bad, that was a typo.  I used:

anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot

> Note in particular
> that you need to pass the -P option to "cvs checkout" to ensure that
> spurious empty directories get deleted properly.

OK, I will use that from now on.

> If you check out "src", you should get "syssrc" magically glued into the
> tree in the right places.

That's what I expected, but not what I got. :-\

> It should have been.  It would be helpful if you could tell us what you
> actually did to check out the source tree.  In particular, did the checkout
> fail part-way through, and if so, what did you do to recover?  The magic
> that glues the various modules that make up "src" together is rather fragile
> in the face of that kind of thing.

First I did the following:

cvs -z3 -d $CVSROOT co src

at one point I did cancel it (needed the bandwidth for something else at
the time), after which I did this:

cvs -z3 -d $CVSROOT update src

> My usual way to get a useful checkout is to grab the source tarballs from
> <ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src/> (or a
> mirror), untar them all on top of one another, and then "cvs update -Pd".

I'd done it this way a looooong time ago but I didn't do that this time
because I was low on disk space (didn't have enough room for both tarballs
_and_ unpacked source).  Guess I'll free up some space and do that.

Thanks for your help.  (Still curious whether the cvs commands I ran
above are responsible for not having usr.sbin/config/, which certainly
was missing from my result.)  I will get the most recent tarballs and
update from there.