Subject: Re: sip0: receive FIFO overrun
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Core <520079546242-0001@t-online.de>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/2002 03:54:26
bouyer@antioche.eu.org (Manuel Bouyer) wrote:

> Michael Core wrote:

> > I use a ECI K7S5a mainboard with a onboard NIC "SiS 900 10/100
> > Ethernet". Sometimes I saw "sip0: receive FIFO overrun" but today
> > this line comes up much more often and the kernel reports "sip0:
> > device timeout", too.

> > 37 degrees celsius system temperature and 51 degrees celsius cpu
> > temp. should not be fatal, right? The fan is OK, the system is
> > half-open all the time.
>
> Well, that may be the key: air flows don't go through the whole box
> when it's open. Parts of the motherboard may lack appropriate cooling
> because of this.

I've updated my kernel to the most recent current without removing the
problem. It's a little strange because it was much warmer when the
problem appeared and it did not go away although it's much colder now.
Some weeks ago I tested how long my box can be keeped up. I've reached 7
days without any problems but I could not stand the noise any longer and
turned it off.

I've decided to put a fan in front of the mainboard chip. This decreases
the system temperature by about 10 degrees to less then 30 degrees
celsius. Looks like the problem is gone now. Unfortunately, I cannot
watch those values on-the-fly because there's no driver for this
hardware monitor yet. Linux has it. *sigh*

Someday I'll put the whole PC into a box with circulating oil only the
drives above. Trust me.

Michael