Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: adding capability for blowfish passwords
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/23/2002 20:28:28
On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 08:23:12AM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> 	hmm.  i see.  we should implement $2$ as openbsd does (there's no need
> 	to be different), and the above algorithm can become $3$.

Sounds good to me. I could have $3$ done and (hopefully :) cleanly implemented
in not too long, the only thing right now that I'm unsure about is how to handle
the salt argument to crypt. Obviously make it use the SHA512 hash if it starts
with with $3$, but then what? just hash it in the same manner that digest uses
to hash multiple lines? (SHA512_Update(passwordtext) then SHA512_Update(salt),
or vice versa?)

Porting OpenBSD's blowfish crypt functionality has me confused for the moment,
however. Try as I might, and with debugging code at almost every major step in
the bcrypt() and company functions, I can't seem to make bcrypt(pw,salt) return
anything but ":" - even using the (commented out by default) main() in bcrypt.c
for testing. I'll keep poking at it, but if anyone knows what I might be doing
wrong, I would appreciate tips.

--
/~\ The ASCII                         Sean Davis
\ / Ribbon Campaign                    aka dive