Subject: Re: Direct disk editing & regenerating partition info.
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/23/2002 13:09:50
Hi, David, I'm sorry, yes, you're right!  Wasn't thinking that far...

On Thu, 23 May 2002, David Maxwell wrote:

# That was to solve Hisashi T Fujinaka's problem, not your question.
# Even if /var/backups/ was on a filesystem whose disklabel was lost, it
# will at least give some easy to find text to search the disk for...
#
# As for your question, I think Greg already answered it. You're thinking
# superblocks, right? The numbers printed while newfs runs?

Nope, I'm thinking disklabels (I know about superblocks).  Under Solaris,
try it sometime.  Write a disklabel out to disk, and then skrog the first
instance of it at the beginning of the disk.

Now, when you run format, it will try to find the disklabel.  Failing that,
it will try to find a backup disklabel (it will also do this if you run
the "backup" command in format).

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: The power to Connect