Subject: Re: Direct disk editing & regenerating partition info.
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/23/2002 12:22:41
On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 08:53:07AM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> I know that Sun's format program (which does disklabeling, among other
> things) stores multiple copies of a disklabel on the disk.
>
> Do we do such a thing with our disklabel program, or could we find some
> place to store backup disklabels, for just such an emergency...?
>
> [actually, reflecting, I realise this is not precisely a fix for Mr.
> Latte, but I've had occasions where I was sure glad that I had backup
> disklabels sitting around!]
>
> On Thu, 23 May 2002, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
>
> # Sorry for the repost, I just realized that the layout might be the same
> # across ports, and some of the other ports have had more disk problems than
> # port-i386.
> #
> # This is a disk layout question and I am also curious whether the partition
> # info is similar across platforms.
> #

Try /var/backups/disklabel.*

As part of /etc/security, those are created. I believe you can thank
Andrew Brown (with later additions by Luke Mewburn).

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,