Subject: Re: Migration question( OpenBSD 2.9 -> NetBSD -current)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Milos Urbanek <urbanek@openbsd.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 05/03/2002 14:51:36
On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 02:17:00PM +0200, Piotr Stolc wrote:
> On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 11:26:02PM +0200, Milos Urbanek wrote:
> > My experience is that although NetBSD and OpenBSD use ffs fs, there are
> > some subtle differences that cause the NetBSD not to be able to mount ffs
> > partitions created under OpenBSD.
> > More specifically, under NetBSD current (e.g. 1.5ZC) you can mount
> > ffs partition from OpenBSD 3.0, but when you do a 'ls' or another
> > fs operation on it you will get an EBADF error if I'm correct.
>
> A few days ago I was moving one machine from OpenBSD 2.9 to NetBSD 1.5.3_RC1.
> NetBSD had problems reading OpenBSD's disklabel, so I decided to backup on
> that OpenBSD box. I've created one big FFS on another disk without disklabel
> and I NetBSD read it without any problem.

Yup. I was a bit mistaken two days ago. OpenBSD and NetBSD ffs are
compatible and it works. I had the problems because I had not probably
clean filesystem. I have solved aswell the problem that NetBSD cannot read
OpenBSD disklabel. The solutions is to patch disksubr.c file in kernel
to be able to recognize OpenBSD mbr partition as the partition where to
seek for ffs filesystem. Using that patch I was able to read disklabel at
the OpenBSD disk without problems. However NetBSD uses another partition
layout (e.g. NetBSD wd0d as a whole disk oposed to OpenBSD wd0c for the while
 disk). This cause the inability to read the c and d partitions under
NetBSD. But the other can be mounted and read/written fine.

Milos