Subject: Re: Migration question( OpenBSD 2.9 -> NetBSD -current)
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: Milos Urbanek <urbanek@openbsd.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/2002 11:37:50
On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 09:47:14AM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:

>   | My experience is that although NetBSD and OpenBSD use ffs fs, there are
>   | some subtle differences that cause the NetBSD not to be able to mount ffs
>   | partitions created under OpenBSD.
>   | More specifically, under NetBSD current (e.g. 1.5ZC) you can mount
>   | ffs partition from OpenBSD 3.0, but when you do a 'ls' or another
>   | fs operation on it you will get an EBADF error if I'm correct.
>
> This is interesting.  Do you have any further details?  Does NetBSD
> current's fsck_ffs (with -n to "not change" the file system) work
> on the OpenBSD ffs partitions?

Ok. I will put my disk with NetBSD 1.5ZC in the machine with
2 disks with OpenBSD 3.0 ffs partitions and try to elaborate a bit around
that.

I remember that when I was installing NetBSD 1.5ZC on my computer I
had there one OpenBSD ffs partition from OpenBSD 3.0. When I tried
to run fsck on the partition it dumped a core after receiving a signal
I already do not remember the failure message but it was something that
contained substring "floating point operation".
(I don't remember right now the exact details but I will have a closer
look at it and I will try to send you more specific details.)
I solved this by running NetBSD newfs at the partition..

Milos