Subject: Re: IBM SCSI drives
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/2002 04:48:39
In message <0A320836-5B06-11D6-93D3-0005025F40E8@augustmail.com>, you write:

-> Is anyone successfully using an IBM DCHS-04F or DGHS-04Z SCSI disk on
-> their NetBSD system?  The DCHS-04F is also known as the DCHS-34550 or
-> Ultrastar-2XP.  The DGHS-04Z is also known as the Ultrastar-4LP with
-> variations of -04U, -04X, -04Y, -04V, or -04D.

I believe I have one or two of these in my Indigo2, which IRIX or NetBSD,
depending on the day... IIRC, I have the DCHS-4F.  I think my R8k Indigo2
may have gotten another one of these, or I may have one floating around
as a spare...

-> I pickup up a couple of these disks recently but can't get them to work
-> correctly.  After poking around I found that they have been configured
-> with some non-standard Mode Page defaults including a block size of 514
-> bytes.  I've gotten the "scsi" command from FreeBSD/OpenBSD working on
-> NetBSD and can update the Mode Pages but I can't find the right values
-> to use.  I've searched all over the IBM Web pages and it appears that
-> these parameters are managed by the VAR/OEM utility called DDD-Si which
-> appears to have the drive tables embedded in the program.

I can't recall if mine had 514 or 520 byte sectors when I got them, but
they were something non-standard.... Since I didn't have a NetBSD disk
on the machine at the time, I used the IRIX `fx' tool to fix the formats.

If you have sources for the SCSI tool, I can see if the Indigo2 still
powers up (I've since got a much nicer and quieter Challenge S 8-)
and if I can get the mode page definitions for you.  Please send me
pointers/sources off-list to keep the S/N from dropping even lower
than normal 8-)

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill