Subject: Re: Sendmail SASL authentication
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20020427T131413@wsrcc.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/28/2002 11:17:25
>         http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html      (SASL)
>         http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/starttls.html  (TLS)
>
> (SASL authentication is probably more work than TLS authentication.
> TLS is compiled in on -current and anything that has sendmail 8.11.6
> or higher.)

Ok, I looked a bit deeper and from what I understand I need SASL (I have no
cert that will be trusted by the peer, and from the above URL it looks like
that will be a prerequisite to use TLS).

On the other hand SASL (both with sendmail and postfix) requires the cyrus
sasl library and is not compiled in with our in-tree version.

This is a pretty disapointing state of affairs. Hell, even outlook express
can do this with a simple mouse click!

I'm gonna completely re-evaluate my choice of MTAs and proably install
some exchange servers ;-}

Martin