Subject: Re: more tlp problems
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/2002 21:03:43
On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 10:49:02PM +0300, Martti Kuparinen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After booting a new kernel with the tlp interfaces (they used
> to be de) we see A LOT of these errors:
>
> Apr 26 16:01:58 fw /netbsd: tlp1: receive error: MII error
> Apr 26 16:01:58 fw /netbsd: tlp1: receive error: dribbling bit
> Apr 26 16:01:58 fw /netbsd: tlp1: receive error: CRC error
>
> Any idea what's wrong with tlp?

At a rough guess absolutely nothing - expect that it is being
somewhat louder than stricty necessary.
It looks as though it is generating three lines of text for
an error that IMHO should only be counted!
(Certainly it would be an idea to avoid putting such messages
out very often).

The error - 'dribbling bit' - is reporting that an ethernet
frame isn't a multiple of 8 bytes long.  This will cause a CRC
error as well.

The reason for the dribbbling bit could be anything, but is
most likely a dodgy cable/connector somewhere.

- what sort of network cabling an/or hubs do you have
- does the error message disappear if you disconnect the other
  systems on the network (if this is possible)
- are you seeing performance problems?

OTOH, IIRC, the old AMD lance would ignore dribbling bits....

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk