Subject: Re: Odd LFS problems in syslog
To: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/2002 21:16:26
On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 06:59:04PM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
> Apr 25 18:52:22 eros lfs_cleanerd[29507]: add_segment: lfs_segmapv failed
> for segment 12
> Apr 25 18:52:22 eros lfs_cleanerd[29507]: add_segment failed segment 12:
> Cannot allocate memory
>
> I only pasted six lines of it there, but it goes on for a while.

When I saw this on a large partition, the system was basically unusable
while it ran this, and it never seemed to finish this.  Eventually,
lfs_cleanerd's process size grew to be the size of RAM and the system
kept up a solid 20MB/s of disk transfers to that disk for a number of
hours.  I ended up pulling data from there (slowly) and using ffs since
I needed to actually get work done...  I keep meaning to go in search
of a good reason for that behavior, though.

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD development for Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SuperH, XScale, etc...