Subject: Re: Off topic - config help needed for Apache mod-ssl
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/2002 16:01:32
On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 01:26:14PM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> I need to restrict access to one particular directory to be valid
> only if the user is on a secure connection;  all other documents should
> be served up using either secure or insecure connection.

The way Apache services both HTTP and HTTPS requests is via two
virtual servers that respond on different ports (80 and 443).  The
main part of the config file is for the HTTP server.  The part at
the bottom that starts with <VirtualHost _default_:443> is the
part that defines the HTTPS server.  Both virtual servers are
configured the same way, but their configurations are separate
from each other.  What you want to do is to have the same setups
in both the top and bottom of the config file, but for the HTTP
server, restrict access to your special directories, and for the
HTTPS server, allow access to your special directories.

Sorry if I rambled, but I hope you get the idea.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>