Subject: Re: epic network interface problem
To: Kevin Toolsie <xtoolsie@gravity.rsc.raytheon.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/23/2002 14:31:00
On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 04:15:44PM -0500, Kevin Toolsie wrote:
> I am running the smp kernel, with source dated Feb. 24 (last sync of smp
> with -current).  My NetBSD box is currently serving as a firewall and
> gateway for my home network, and the epic interface is internal.  I
> encounter no problem with normal internet usage, including downloads, but
> if I try to ftp large files from the internal network to the gateway, or
> vice versa, the interface will repeatedly drop and restart.  If I
> attempt this as root, the computer will crash and reboot.
>
> Has anybody noticed this behavior with the pci epic drivers, and if so,
> has it been fixed since Feb. 24?  What are the chances that I could update
> only the epic source and pull off a successful recompile?

I'm not using an epic with the SMP branch, but I've never seen anything
like this.  The epic driver hasn't changed since November 12, so I don't
think there is any updating to be done.

Are you sure you don't have a link problem?  If you have a duplex mismatch
you may be getting a ton of errors during bulk data transfers and the error
recovery code could be resetting the interface.  Look at the output of the
'netstat -in' command:

Name  Mtu   Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs Colls
epic0 1500  <Link>        00:e0:29:45:8d:ac   540172     0   579143     0     0
epic0 1500  192.168.44    192.168.44.1        540172     0   579143     0     0
epic0 1500  fe80::/64     fe80::2e0:29ff:fe   540172     0   579143     0     0

If have anything in the Ierrs or Oerrs column there is a potential link
problem.

-Andrew