Subject: Re: Cross-build doesn't work i386->sparc
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/16/2002 20:40:25
On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Greywolf wrote:

: # Because 70%+ of third party software out there (*including* software shich
: # uses autoconf) is not cross-build-aware, and will break.  Remember that
: # `src' is a build structure that we tightly control, but `pkgsrc' simply
: # defers to the third party package's build structure with minor to no
: # frobbing.
:
: Perhaps I'm mis-understanding something.  I don't need a full
: cross-install; I just need to be able to build, even if it's in pieces
: (i.e. build the stuff on the i386; install from the sparc to the sparc
: (NFS, most likely)).  I could handle the dependencies falling apart.

The build structure required to do cross in pkgsrc is a SMOP.  (Being able
to synthesize PLISTs properly, etc.)

But making the packages actually compile when $CC doesn't produce a
runnable-in-place executable is very, very different.  (Think how many
packages run in-tree binaries as part of the build.)  Not to mention the
fact that the packages have to install somewhere other than where they think
they are to be installed.  8-)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/