Subject: Re: Anyone compiling X on NetBSD-current ?
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/16/2002 12:35:50
Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU> writes:

> I am using a 1.5Y (approx) userland, with a 1.5ZC (up to date)
> kernel to run build.sh (which works just fine, and produces all
> the non-X release sets - or it did yesterday, no reason to assume
> anything has changed), but for several days (at least) now, neither
> version of X will build properly for me.

I recently built the XFree86 4 stuff in xsrc on a i386 box with
-current userland and kernel from a few days ago, so I think it should
work on i386 at least.

> The current "normal" one (X11R6.3) builds most things, but not most
> of the servers (XF86_SVGA does get built).  The problem seems to be
> that some tablet driver is trying to include usbhid.h and the
> appropriate usbhid.h doesn't exist (there is <dev/usb/usbhid.h> but
> that doesn't define usb_hid_t (or something similar - this was all
> at home, where I am not at the minute) so causes more errors if it is
> included than just the one from the missing include file.

The usbhid.h that the build is looking for comes from
src/lib/libusbhid; it was renamed from libusb to libusbhid (with a
corresponding rename of usb.h to usbhid.h) last December, somewhere in
1.5ZA territory. You can probably fix your build problem by updating
libusbhid and rebuilding it, including "make includes".

This probably means that building from that X source under 1.5.x is
broken; that might be considered a bug, but I'm going to let someone
else worry about it...

> For Xfree4.2.0 (the alternate xsrc) a few applications that want to
> use -lGL fail to find the library, and hence don't get built.  Does
> this build perhaps assume that things are being installed into /usr/X11R6
> as they are compiled?   For me, they're not, it is all getting built
> into /test/usr/... (DESTDIR=/test) for the whole build.

Not sure about this. The build I did was on a machine that didn't have
a pre-existing X install at all, but it wasn't a DESTDIR build. From
looking at my build log it seems to be trying to DTRT by populating
xfree/xc/exports/{include,lib} and pointing the build of, say,
glxgears there with appropriate -I and -L options.

        - Nathan