Subject: Anyone compiling X on NetBSD-current ?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/16/2002 22:08:32
I have been trying to generate a complete (i386 initially)
distribution, using src from anoncvs and xsrc from the
tarballs (weird reasons for the difference).

I am using a 1.5Y (approx) userland, with a 1.5ZC (up to date)
kernel to run build.sh (which works just fine, and produces all
the non-X release sets - or it did yesterday, no reason to assume
anything has changed), but for several days (at least) now, neither
version of X will build properly for me.

The current "normal" one (X11R6.3) builds most things, but not most
of the servers (XF86_SVGA does get built).  The problem seems to be
that some tablet driver is trying to include usbhid.h and the
appropriate usbhid.h doesn't exist (there is <dev/usb/usbhid.h> but
that doesn't define usb_hid_t (or something similar - this was all
at home, where I am not at the minute) so causes more errors if it is
included than just the one from the missing include file.

For Xfree4.2.0 (the alternate xsrc) a few applications that want to
use -lGL fail to find the library, and hence don't get built.  Does
this build perhaps assume that things are being installed into /usr/X11R6
as they are compiled?   For me, they're not, it is all getting built
into /test/usr/... (DESTDIR=/test) for the whole build.

Everything happens with no mk.conf (the script I use moves it out of the
way to be certain that no local customisations upset the build, then
restores it when it finishes of course).

If all of this is supposed to be working, then I'll get more details and
file a PR.  On the other hand, if it is known not working at the minute
then I'll just wait a while and try again later...

kre