Subject: Re: Microtek scanner not showing up?
To: None <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@tappedin.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/05/2002 12:28:25
>Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 18:47:58 +0200
>From: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
>
>I think you should not use ss0, but uk0 instead (comment out ss driver
>from your kernel, it's AFAIK very obsolete). At least if you want
>to use it with sane.

Actually, it should be fine to use the ss driver.  A long time ago, ss
was modified to allow it to pass through the ioctls used by sane, so
that even if it matched a target, sane would work as expected.

All that should be needed is to ensure that /dev/scanner is a symlink
to /dev/ss0 (or modify the appropriate sane driver to look for
/dev/ss0 instead of /dev/scanner; I do it with a symlink since it
makes upgrading sane much easier).  Then set the permissions on
/dev/ss0 so that the user running sane can actually access the device.
On my home machine, I use mode 0666 since I'm not concerned about
users abusing it.  I use it all the time with xsane plugin for gimp,
on a Microtek X6EL scanner, and it works fine.