Subject: AWACS driver question
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/28/2002 16:51:04
Is it still maintained? The date of the awacs.c file in CVS is somewhere
around march 2001, which is quite a while ago. On my slot-loading iMac it
works, but it's quirky. i.e.  the volume stuff is acting weird. Sometimes
it just jumps to its max volume, for no really apparent reason, making
me, my dogs, and housemates litterary jump out of their seats. Not
really good. To add insult to injury, recording isn't possible.

Might it be an idea to look at the drivers from the 'other' operating
systems? I hear ALSA has a nice driver, and the linux OSS ones seem to
work okay as well. Maybe as an unsupported patch?

I have wrt the awacs driver this wishlist:

- when I plug external speakers into the headphone jack, the internal
  speakers should shut the hell up
- When I set the volume down to zero, the sound should be muted.
- No jack-in-the-box games with the volume anymore (I still wonder why
  that happens anyway)
- recording from CD-audio and microphone

I'd like to take a stab at it, where can I find documentation about the
awacs driver itself? I googled, but nothing worthwhile came up. Any tips
for porting a driver from another OS to NetBSD?

Note that I'm not willing to take maintainership. I'll just kludge
around with that driver until I have something that works better. If I
have something promising, I'll send patches.

Cheers,
Emiel

--
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go
away".