Subject: Re: Sun 3/50 and -current
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/2002 16:29:50
David Brownlee said:

>	NetBSD has only just made it onto the acorn26 and sun2 platforms,
>	so if anything the minimum spec is getting lower not higher...

The downside of the Sun 3/50 is the memory hole between the onboard
4 megs and the 8 meg third-party card. Also, the cycle stealing video
doesn't help either. I could probably get a little improvement by
using a serial console.

>	I agree the base system is getting larger - IPv6 was a large chunk
>	in itself - and a GENERIC kernel is no longer bootable for many
>	smaller machines, but if people are willing to spend the time to
>	help better conditionalise the kernel it can benefit everyone.

You can't actually boot a GENERIC kernel on a Sun 3/50. :-)

You can even see the INSTALL kernel leaking into video memory. The kernel
that I'm using now is:

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  819494 Mar 13 09:34 netbsd

I could make it even smaller.

>	An obvious place to start would be to compile up a custom kernel,
>	run size on *.o in the compile directory, and work out where a
>	bunch os space is being used. Alternatively look at shrinking
>	some of the hash tables and similar used in the kernel.

I have maxusers set to 2, and a look at "sysctl -a" shows that resources
are set pretty low.

I am going to plug the disks into a 3/60 with 24megs and a 3/110 with
12megs, to see if there are any performance differences. At one time I
was using a 3/60 running NetBSD 1.2 to run a low impact webserver.

If anyone in Colorado wants a Sun 3/50 with either 8 or 12 megs of memory,
I have 5 0r 6 of them. :-)

I also have a Sun 3/80 that needs a power supply that I want to get up and
running. I have another 3/80 running SunOS 4.1.1.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com