Subject: Re: Sun 3/50 and -current
To: current-users@netbsd.org, <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/2002 17:43:09
[ On Tuesday, March 26, 2002 at 22:17:24 (+0000), David Brownlee wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Sun 3/50 and -current
>
> 	ssh2 is really too heavy for a low end sparc, let alone a sun3 :/

I dunno about that -- I tested it from my SS1.  I wouldn't want to run
the client regularly with the X11 server and an xterm, but just an xterm
and the client, should be "usable" (or just the daemon and a shell session).

> 	An obvious place to start would be to compile up a custom kernel,
> 	run size on *.o in the compile directory, and work out where a
> 	bunch os space is being used. Alternatively look at shrinking
> 	some of the hash tables and similar used in the kernel.

Yes, of course -- GENERIC kernels on old/small machines are not really
usable for more than the install and build of a custom kernel (and
sometimes even the build needs to be done elsewhere!  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods