Subject: Re: Sun 3/50 and -current
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/2002 22:17:24
On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Rick Kelly wrote:

> So I've been running -current on a Sun 3/50 with 12 megs.
>
> [...]
>
> I can use SSH1 with this machine, but SSH2 times out as the system
> frantically pages.

	ssh2 is really too heavy for a low end sparc, let alone a sun3 :/

> [...]
> I think that the days of NetBSD/sun3 will soon close for the Sun 3/50, of
> course their are earlier versions that run well.

	NetBSD has only just made it onto the acorn26 and sun2 platforms,
	so if anything the minimum spec is getting lower not higher...

	I agree the base system is getting larger - IPv6 was a large chunk
	in itself - and a GENERIC kernel is no longer bootable for many
	smaller machines, but if people are willing to spend the time to
	help better conditionalise the kernel it can benefit everyone.

	An obvious place to start would be to compile up a custom kernel,
	run size on *.o in the compile directory, and work out where a
	bunch os space is being used. Alternatively look at shrinking
	some of the hash tables and similar used in the kernel.
--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --