Subject: Re: Odd Notebook PS2 Touchpad Problem with wscons under XFree86
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff McCune <mccune@ling.ohio-state.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/24/2002 17:10:38
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 02:02:25PM -0500, Jeff McCune wrote:
> > if any of you have experieneced something similair.  Furthermore, is
there a
> > program to diagnose what /dev/wsmouse is spitting out, much like xev
does

>   od -c /dev/wsmouse
>
>   (after shutting down X; or from a non-X virtual console).  I
> guess that's kind of a rudimentary way to go, but maybe it will
> reveal something helpful.
>
> Cheers,  --Dave

Good call on using that to view what wsmouse is spitting out.  After using
od -c /dev/wsmouse from the console, it spits back a bunch of output which I
can't decipher as I mess with the touchpad.

The interesting thing is that when I physically depress a button, I get a
single line of output, and when I release the button I get another line of
output (Both output lines are printed "instantly" with the physical
depressing / release of the button).  Thus, it would seem that wscons is
behaving somewhat correctly in that when I push the button down, it does
spit an event at whatever's attached to it, rather than waiting for the
button to be released before spitting both events back, as xev would have me
believe.

Does this mean XFree86 is fscked up somehow?

Thanks,
Jeff McCune