Subject: Re: pckbc, pms_disable
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@netbsd.org>
From: Toru TAKAMIZU <ttaka@earth.email.ne.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/2002 19:37:11
Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 04:34:58AM -0500
D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> On March 18, 2002 10:03 am, Toru TAKAMIZU wrote:
> > -current gives me a lot of "pckbc: command timeout" and
> > and "pms_disable: command error". These make X practically
> > unusable.
>
> Same here.
>
> > I have to ssh from another machine and "shutdown -r now"
> > many times a day.
>
> In fact you should be able to just restart xdm.  That's all I do.

Yes, thanks. But xdm itself often causes this error. So I stopped
using xdm. Now I'm using "startx" - of course, the problem remains,
but it's slightly (just a little, little bit) better.

I don't know the reason, but my old 486 doesn't have the problem, while
586 and k6 do have. I compared the config files and found nothing particular.
I suspected usb (586 and k6 have, 486 doesn't) and tried usb-removed
kernel. My guess was wrong.

I compiled a new X server, and this was also wrong.

Tried a kernel with "options INSECURE" and turned off the aperture lkm, wrong.

I hope this problem will disappear soon.

Toru