Subject: Re: new IPFilter
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Bruno Saverio Delbono <bruno@lucifer.at>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/2002 09:25:59
Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from John Nemeth:
> On Jul 2, 10:19pm, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> > John Nemeth wrote:
> > >      Are there any plans to do a pullup of the new IPFilter, or is it
> > > too new and we are too close to release?

> > AFAIK it has already been pulled up to -current.

>      I noticed that, which is how I knew about the new version of
> IPFilter.  I meant will it be pulled up to 1.5?

Do you mean 1.5.2-RELEASE or are you talking about the general 1.5
branch?

> > The licence doesn't permit commercial use AFAIK. It's only for
> > non-commercial use. IIRC it can be redistributed for
> > non-commercial

>      Ick!  For my purposes, its going to depend on how they defined
> non-commercial use.

Umm...I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet...

Here is the license from   ip_fil3.4.23/ip_h323_pxy.c

 Copyright 2001, QNX Software Systems Ltd. All Rights Reserved

 This source code has been published by QNX Software Systems Ltd.
 (QSSL).  However, any use, reproduction, modification, distribution
 or transfer of this software, or any software which includes or is
 based upon any of this code, is only permitted under the terms of the
 QNX Open Community License version 1.0 (see licensing.qnx.com for
 details) or as otherwise expressly authorized by a written
 license agreement from QSSL. For more information, please email
 licensing@qnx.com.

The license this is refering to is located @
http://licensing.qnx.com/published/source/ocl1_00.html

I just read it once and it seems to be somewhat similar and nicer
than even GPL...(*grin*).

> > use too only. I'm quite surprised it has been integrated into
> > IPFilter at all.

See above.

>      Yeah, that does go against the spirit of open source.

[...]

>      BTW, anybody know what the final result of that spat last year
> over the IPFiler licence is?  Since IPFilter is still part of NetBSD, I
> assume that something was worked out.

Yes. IPFilter was changed back to the way it was before.

Bruno

--
In 1914, the first crossword puzzle was printed in a newspaper.  The
creator received $4000 down ... and $3000 across.