Subject: Re: Build race conditions, any solution?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/2002 16:32:28
At 10:05 PM +0700 3/12/02, Robert Elz wrote:

>note I was using -D / for my build (inside my new environment).  Not
>doing that wouldn't have helped, as if I'd started somewhere clean,
>everything would have worked OK, but then I'd have needed to build it
>all again into / anyway (I don't want to copy from one place to
>another, too many possibilities to mess something up doing that).

I'm glad that you mentioned this as it has always bugged me. The
readmes strongly suggest that you don't build into /, but then they
don't give any advice WRT actually getting the new build into the
active system. With the old build, you could separate the making and
the installation steps, so that you could ensure that everything went
smoothly & then install into the active system. With the current
system, I only see a couple options:

make release, & then unpack the sets as you would for any snapshot update

Do your build with -O and -D...then once that's done, do a -u build
with -D / which will still churn away for quite awhile before
installing. Also, IIRC, many archs are still having issues with
building a release from new tools.

After doing a build with destdirs, is there an easy way to install it
into an active system? If there is a make install-type option, could
it be added to BUILDING or a faq somewhere?

Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.