Subject: Re: FreSSH
To: None <xs@kittenz.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/08/2002 14:00:09
On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:51:23AM +0000, xs@kittenz.org wrote:

> I think, it might be nice to have a sshd that isn't one, huge, monolithic
> blob. afaik, you can't chroot sshd itself or parts of it without a patch.

You just described two of the principal design goals of FreSSH.  It's hard
for me to believe that anyone could design a piece of "security software"
with dangerous sections as large as those of the F-Secure/OpenSSH code.

Unfortunately, we all got awfully busy, so the FreSSH team isn't in much
of a position to talk.  It doesn't help that none of us really like the
baroque V2 protocol very much (it duplicates, for instance, most of the
work of the TLS working group, for little reason that I can see (though
many people feel very strongly otherwise).