Subject: Re: FreSSH
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/08/2002 09:13:06
On 8 Mar 2002, Nathan J. Williams wrote:

: > Please don't tell me that you're seriously considering a rewrite of
: > the kernel in C++ ("C++:C::Lung Cancer:Lung").
:
: C++ is the worst of both worlds; it's a pig, but you don't even get
: the benefit of safety.

Actually, if written correctly[*], C++ code can give you the runtime aspect
of safety at a much lower cost than most other compiled languages currently
in circulation.  You just have to write the checking code yourself.  C++
does its thing at a much lower level than most similar languages, much in
the vein of C.

This does not mean that I favor using C++ for all such purposes -- C is
still adequate if the programmer can write correct code.

[*] The fact that most C++ programmers are *still* too sloppy to write code
    "correctly" does not mean that the language itself is a pig for purposes
    such as this.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/