Subject: Re: CVS update fails/newbie questions
To: Werner Backes <werner@bit-1.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/2002 20:13:42
On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 11:50:30AM +0100, Werner Backes wrote:
> I'm trying to update my current source tree but this
> fails. I'm in /usr/src and do a "cvs update -dP".
> It seems to run fine but then stops with:
>
> cvs server: Updating distrib/notes/arm32
> cvs server: Updating distrib/notes/atari
> cvs server: Updating distrib/notes/common
> cvs [server aborted]: unable to parse
> /cvsroot/basesrc/distrib/notes/common/main,v; `auth
> or' not in the expected place

Looks like the cvs tree is still corrupted on this machine. Maybe try another
mirror ?

> I use anoncvs@sunsite.univie.ac.at as CVS server via ssh. This is my
> first approach to build NetBSD from source and I'm not experienced
> with CVS so maybe I did some stupid things during setup the source
> tree. But I was able to checkout, update and compile the i386 kernel
> sources including the i386mp branch so I think I'm not totally wrong :)
> Further questions that came up during this:
>
> - What is the best way to "clean" up the source tree? Deleting
>   everything and reinstalling is not much fun.

'make cleandir' at the top of the tree sould get rid of most things.
Then watching the outup of a 'cvs update' should give infos on what
is left.

> - The recommended way to setup the source tree for the first time
>   is to download the source-tarfiles of a recent snapshot and the
>   do a cvs update. But by doing this I would have "cvs.netbsd.org"
>   in all my CVS/Root files which is probably not what I want. Is
>   is possible to just overwrite all CVS/Root files with a new one
>   which contains a different cvs server before doing the update?

Yes, I use something like this:
cp CSV/Root /tmp/
vi /tmp/Root
<change server name and save>
find . -path '*/CVS/Root' -exec cp /tmp/Root {} \;

> - is it possible to checkout/update the kernel sources for selected
>   architectures only? At the moment, I get all architectures but I
>   only need alpha,i386 and sparc. This seems to be a big overhead
>   to me.

Not easy. You can remove all but the ones you need from sys/arch and run
'cvs up' without the '-d' but then new directories won't be created either.
You'll have to checkout them by hand when they appear.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>