Subject: Re: Conexant Systems 'HW 56K Fax Modem'
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/2002 23:38:50
> Look at:
>
> 	http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/conexant/conexant_rc56d.html
>
> It's mentioned as being supported by the Linux kernel, as a plain
> serial device, so not as a winmodem.
>
> That page also contains a link to a datasheet, which specifies a
> 16550-compatible interface to the chip, and shows that it has
> all that it needs on board. I don't know if it needs extra twiddling
> to be put into plain 16550 mode, but it sure seems to be able
> to work in it.

If you are referring to the rc56d document 100680j.pdf, then
that document doesn't seem to describe (or mention) a PCI
interface.  It looks as though it is either an ISA modem
or an external one.
(Of course it could be put onto a PCI card behind a PCI bridge
chip)

The only manufacturer I found (last december) that produced
a chipset that was likely to be used for a PCI hardware modem
was the lucent venus - and I didn't find that advertised
anywhere.

All the conexant HCF modems require a devive driver to do
loads of control work.

The PCI BAR registers for that card match those for the
HCF card I have - it is defintely not a hardware modem
with a 16550 type interface......

Be aware that the netbsd serial drivers do not do any
validation of the modem hardware.  The 'working FIFO'
message just relies on reading back some values that were
written - I think memory passes that test.
It might be worth checking that the baud rate registers
can be accessed...

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk