Subject: Re: Conexant Systems 'HW 56K Fax Modem'
To: David Brownlee <abs@formula1.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/2002 20:31:41
On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 05:39:38PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	I ordered a 'hardware' internal modem, and received a PCI card
> 	"Conexant Systems HW 56K Fax Modem". It comes with drivers for
> 	win9x and 3.1 which is vaguely hopeful.
>
> 	Is this likely to be a 'puc' device, something else useful, or
> 	a winmodem by any other name?
>
> 	PCI_CONFIG_DUMP follows...
>
> Conexant Systems HW 56K Fax Modem (miscellaneous communications, revision 0x08)
> at pci0 dev 16 function 0: PCI configuration registers:
>   Common header:
>     0x00: 0x108514f1 0x02900107 0x07800008 0x00002000
>
>     Vendor Name: Conexant Systems (0x14f1)
>     Device Name: HW 56K Fax Modem (0x1085)

It's hard to tell. Conexant (formerly Rockwell) makes both the lame
'software' modems (winmodems), and actual useful hardware with
a 16550 compatible interface. For example, the one in my
Sony Vaio laptop is useless ("Conexant Systems SoftK56 PCI Software Modem"),
but yours is mentioned as a 'hardware modem'.

I don't see this particular PCI device ID listed in any FAQs about
winmodems, so maybe it has a shot at working. If you want to be
certain that something works before you take it out of the box,
get an external modem. You can take a stab at just using com_puc
for this one and see if you're in luck.

- Frank