Subject: Audio playback weirdness
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Perkin <sketch@rd.bbc.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2002 23:23:04
Is it just me who's been having all sorts of audio problems recently?

 o xmms will only play a single track.  Next time you start to play an
   mp3 it just hangs at "00:00" in play and sits there.
 o realplayer plays, but no sound comes out.
 o mp3blaster (just so I could get a few mp3s playing) skips like mad.
   This is a 1.7GHz P4, there shouldn't be any skipping on 192kbps
   mp3s :)  Same happens on the first track which xmms can play.
 o Just tried mpg123.  Lots better, this could point to a pthread
   issue.  xmms linked against /usr/pkg/lib/libpthread.so.14, mp3blaster
   /usr/pkg/lib/libpth.so.14, whilst mpg123 doesn't use userland threads.

NetBSD batfink.intra.nut 1.5ZA (BATFINK) #0: Fri Mar  1 13:12:35 GMT 2002

emuxki0 at pci2 dev 10 function 0: Creative Labs SBLive! EMU 10000 (audio multimedia, revision 0x07)
emuxki0: interrupting at irq 11
emuxki0: TriTech unknown codec; no 3D stereo
audio0 at emuxki0: full duplex, mmap, independent

Can't remember when it started going a bit pear shaped, but not too long
ago as I use realplayer pretty regularly and am now starting to miss out
on a lot of stuff.  Nothing else changed on the machine (kernel config
has stayed the same for ages).

On a slightly related note, my -current laptop has always had a problem
with the first playback through /dev/audio.  Say I use xmms, I have to
attempt to play, watch it error (device busy), switch from OSS->ESound,
try again, same error, switch back from ESound->OSS (original setup),
works fine.  From then on it's perfect until I reboot and redo-from-start.

NetBSD trumpton.intra.nut 1.5ZA (TRUMPTON) #1: Wed Jan  9 00:36:39 GMT 2002

yds0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0: Yamaha 744 (DS-1S) Audio (rev. 0x02)
yds0: interrupting at irq 9
yds0: Asahi Kasei AK4543 codec; headphone, 18 bit DAC, 18 bit ADC, AZTECH 3D
audio0 at yds0: full duplex, mmap, independent

Been like that since it's been installed a few months back.

Any clues appreciated.

--
 Jonathan Perkin - BBC Internet Services - <sketch@rd.bbc.co.uk>