Subject: Re: pppoe documentation
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Sean Finney <seanius@seanius.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2002 11:26:43
On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 02:02:09PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> You don't need kernel PPPoE support for the "rp-pppoe" package. It is a
> complete userland implementation which only requires normal PPP support
> in your kernel.

yeah, I ended up figuring that out :)  Although, I hear in-kernel is
considerably better performing, and since this lovely box is a P90 with
8 megs RAM....

> You should really try the package in "pkgsrc/net/rp-pppoe" because
> this version is known to work with NetBSD. It wouldn't be the first
> time that they broke NetBSD compatibility.

yeah, that's what I ended up doing, and it works just fine.  The biggest
problem was just being able to get the package in the first place,
which required a connection to the internet or trudging uphill with a
floppy.

But anyway, thanks to the wonderful documentation that's now available online
on the Documentation page, I was able to get the in-kernel version running.

A question though:  is there an easy way to get the DNS server information
using in-kernel pppoe?  rp seems to do it nice and automagically for me, and
I can't seem to figure out any way to do it manually.  Of course, my solution
thusfar has been to start up rp, keep the resolv.conf, stop rp, and then
start the in-kernel version :)

--sean