Subject: Re: Trouble checking out CVS src
To: Ian P.Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/20/2002 11:15:48
On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Ian P.Thomas wrote:

> ~ solo > echo $CVSROOT
> :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
>
> 	I use tcsh so it's setenv for me, and I put it in my .login file.
> Here is the whole sequence of events.
>
> /usr solo > sudo cvs login
> (Logging in to anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org)
> CVS password: ( I type in anoncvs here)
> /usr solo > sudo cvs checkout -P src
> cvs checkout: authorization failed: server anoncvs.netbsd.org rejected
> access to /cvsroot for user anoncvs
> cvs checkout: authorization failed: server anoncvs.netbsd.org rejected
> access
> cvs checkout: used empty password; try "cvs login" with a real password

I think the "sudo" thing is confusing cvs, so that it doesn't know where
to find your ~/.cvslogin file.

> 	This is my second attempt after trying the first time.  This time
> I'm su'd to root.

You know, you don't need to be root to checkout sources. If you want
your tree to be owned by root, that should work, though.

> solo# echo $CVSROOT
> :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
> solo# cvs login
> (Logging in to anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org)
> CVS password:
> solo# cvs checkout -P src
>
> 	I don't get my prompt back and no traffic is passed.  It just sits
> there.  I do have a firewall setup using ipfilter.  Could this be
> causing a problem?  Right now my ruleset denies everything unless I
> initiate the connection.  It works fine for every other kind of
> connection: sftp, ssh, scp, etc.

That works for me too. Do you log denied packets?

You might try using "ssh" to connect to anoncvs. In addition to setting
"CVSROOT" to "anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot", set also "CVS_RSH"
to "ssh".

> 	After some time passes, I get this,
>
> solo# cvs [checkout aborted]: received broken pipe signal
> [1]    Exit 1                        cvs checkout -P src

Frederick