Subject: Re: CVS Repository Mirroring
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: BOUWSMA Beery <netbsd-user@dcf77-zeit.netscum.dyndns.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 02/16/2002 23:35:43
[tech-pkg mailing list added in case the package of cvsup would be
 interested]

What with it being the ultimate in bad form to followup to myself,
I just wanted to get this into the list archives in case someone
else runs into this problem (like I did, and the archives helped)

I wrote:
> Has anyone looked into the `ezm3' Modula-3 compiler, that's now
> available, specifically for building `cvsup' and no more, without
> the extra cruft, and which is supposed to be more easily ported?
> Apparently NetBSD 1.5 and later can install it on the i386 port,
> so emulation or a pre-compiled binary shouldn't be needed there,

If someone tries to build this, like I did with -current, then it is
required to have the following compatibility kernel option in your
kernel, otherwise the cvsup binary will fail with `bad system call'

options         COMPAT_13       # NetBSD 1.3,

There's a sigprocmask call that needs this.

[...]
  7148 cvsup    CALL  __sigaction14(0x1a,0xbfbfdae0,0xbfbfdaf8)
  7148 cvsup    RET   __sigaction14 0
  7148 cvsup    CALL  setitimer(0x1,0xbfbfdb50,0xbfbfdb60)
  7148 cvsup    RET   setitimer 0
  7148 cvsup    CALL  compat_13_sigprocmask13(0x2,0x2000000)
  7148 cvsup    PSIG  SIGSYS SIG_DFL
  7148 cvsup    NAMI  "cvsup.core"

I can't see that COMPAT_14 and higher are needed (at least, it runs
fine, though perhaps something I haven't run across might need it).

I'd love to say that I was able to cross-compile to my NetBSD-sparc
machine, but so far no luck, either with failures to malloc adequate
memory or SIGBUS errors, so it's obvious I have no clue as to what I
am trying to do, but I'll keep plugging away at it.

thanks
barry bouwsma