Subject: Re: OBJDIRs that don't exist, in bsd.obj.mk
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/14/2002 14:49:18
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Andrew Brown wrote:

: >: I had actually speculated about such in private e-mail with one of
: >: the developers, in which case I suggested some flag could be set to
: >: say, I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING_AND_I_HAVE_READ_THE_FINE_PRINT_AND_AGREE_etc
: >: although I think I called it something like FORCEMKDIROBJDIRS which
: >: would normally default false, but I didn't incorporate that into the
: >: hack I added.
: >
: >It only requires you to create one directory; what's the big deal?  8-)
: >If you want to nuke the contents without deleting the directory, simply do
: >"rm -r -f /path/to/objdirs/*" rather than "rm -r -f /path/to/objdirs".
:
: actually...that'll "fail" if /path/to/objdirs is a nfs mount point.
: but i repeat myself.

No, the latter case will fail -- and the latter case is the one I am saying
is the *worse* of the two.

(You're on a different mental wavelength.  The original poster wants
bsd.obj.mk to create the top level objdir and skip the sanity check via yet
another mk.conf option.  I was suggesting that he remove everything *but*
the top level objdir, rather than nuking the top level directory.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/