Subject: Re: OBJDIRs that don't exist, in bsd.obj.mk
To: BOUWSMA Beery <netbsd-user@dcf77-zeit.netscum.dyndns.dk>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/14/2002 14:28:33
On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, BOUWSMA Beery wrote:

: > Actually, it deliberately *doesn't* auto-create the top level directories
: > for BSDOBJDIR and/or MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX.  They should be created by hand.
: > (This is a sanity check to make sure directories outside the src tree
: > aren't created without permission of the builder.)
:
: I had actually speculated about such in private e-mail with one of
: the developers, in which case I suggested some flag could be set to
: say, I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING_AND_I_HAVE_READ_THE_FINE_PRINT_AND_AGREE_etc
: although I think I called it something like FORCEMKDIROBJDIRS which
: would normally default false, but I didn't incorporate that into the
: hack I added.

It only requires you to create one directory; what's the big deal?  8-)
If you want to nuke the contents without deleting the directory, simply do
"rm -r -f /path/to/objdirs/*" rather than "rm -r -f /path/to/objdirs".

(Less is better in this case; the objdir logic is already far too
complicated.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/