Subject: my first experience with -current
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Lista de NetBSD current <list11@sepc.edu.mx>
List: current-users
Date: 02/12/2002 11:54:15
Hello

I usually use stable versions of NetBSD in our servers
and I am very very happy using 1.5.2/i386.

Now, I NEED use ALTQ in order to limit bandwidth for
service 1214/tcp (audiogalaxy, kazaa, morpheus) which
is eating our small bandwidth to our ISP. I know ALTQ
is in -current.

I installed NetBSD-1.5ZA/i386 in a box (PII-350, 128RAM,
aic7880, SCSI-III 9GB, 2 3c905b) and then reboot.

Then I installed all files of
/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src/*.tar.gz
in /usr/src (sources of february 2)

Then mkdir /usr/obj
Then cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf and copy GENERIC to MYSERVER
and edit it (for now just change RTC_OFFSET to 360)

config MYSERVER
cd ../compile/MYSERVER
make depend

And I got this error message:
/usr/src/tools/obj/tools.NetBSD-1.5ZA-i386/bin/nbmkdep: not found

Similar errors occur when I try "make build" in /usr/src

I have not experience in -current and I dont know what I am doing wrong.
Also I have read the docs of /usr/src and some messages of -current
mailing list but all this is "dark" for me and I cant understand
a lot of new concepts.

All I want to do is the following:
1) To have a NetBSD server with ALTQ
2) Configure ALTQ and make tests and more tests
3) To use the server in a production environment for limit bandwidth
4) To wait until to have the new stable version of NetBSD with ALTQ
   and migrate.

The step 1) is my problem now.
Can somebody tell me (step by step) what can I do in order to
have NetBSD working in my server?

Thanks in advance for your time and your help

Heron Gallegos
Centro Siglo XXI - Informatica Educativa
Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico