Subject: Re: diskless client settings, dumpdev, and /etc/bootparams vs. bootparams(5)
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/2002 15:24:56
[ On Tuesday, February 5, 2002 at 02:02:46 (+0100), Olaf Seibert wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: very strange problem with vi temporary files on "somewhat -current" diskless client
>
> On Tue 22 Jan 2002 at 00:30:37 -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> >   BTW, why can't I mount a plain file directly for swap like I did with
> >   1.3.x, using the likes of:
> > 	most.weird.com:/var/swap/very   none    swap    sw,nfsmntpt=/swap
> >   -- now I seem to need to mount a whole sub-directory with the swap
> >   file in it....
>
> Strange, my experience was that when I went from XKERNEL 1.2 to DISKLESS
> 1.5 with my Sun 3, I had to change my fstab *into* that form.

Note I'm now running a somewhat close-to-current 1.5W (built from
2001/06/24 sources).  Perhaps 1.5 keeps with the 1.3.x ways?

> >   (netbsd seems to ignore booparams swap & dump settings
>
> and the info from bootparams was used...

I have the following in the server's /etc/bootparams:

very.weird.com  root=sometimes.weird.com:/very \
                swap=sometimes.weird.com:/build/swap/very \
                dump=sometimes.weird.com:/build/swap/very \
                gateway=isit.weird.com:255.255.255.0

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but 'gateway' was required
contrary to what some documentation, esp. bootparams(5), seems to hint.
I decided to put the real gateway address in instead of the server's
address.

However the kernel does not attach any 'dump' device:

	root on le0
	mountroot: trying msdos...
	mountroot: trying cd9660...
	mountroot: trying nfs...
	nfs_boot: trying RARP (and RPC/bootparam)
	nfs_boot: client_addr=204.92.254.3 (RARP from 204.92.254.18)
	nfs_boot: server_addr=204.92.254.18
	nfs_boot: hostname=very.weird.com
	nfs_boot: gateway=204.92.254.6
	nfs_boot: my_mask=255.255.255.0
	root on sometimes.weird.com:/very
	root time: 0x3c61a028
	root file system type: nfs

	savecore: no core dump (no dumpdev)

The swap setting is apparently also ignored.  /etc/rc.d/swap1 complains
that the swap file specified in /etc/fstab is not found ("swapctl:
/swap/very: No such file or directory"), and swap is finally only
attached by /etc/rc.d/swap2 ("swapctl: adding /swap/very as swap at
priority 0").  After booting "swapctl -l" shows only what swap2 did:

Device      512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Priority
/swap/very      131072        0   131072     0%    0

I don't mind having the rc.d scripts do the swap dance (though perhaps
on really small memory machines it would be better for the kernel to
mount and attach whatever swap filesystem is specified by bootparams).
However I would really like to have a dumpdev -- regardless of what
mechanism attaches it....

Just for reference here's /etc/fstab again:

sometimes.weird.com:/very               /       nfs     rw              0       0
sometimes.weird.com:/build/swap         /swap   nfs     rw,nosuid,nodev 0       0
/swap/very                              none    swap    sw
sometimes.weird.com:/usr                /usr    nfs     rw,nodev        0       0
sometimes.weird.com:/var/very           /var    nfs     rw,nosuid,nodev 0       0
proven.weird.com:/home                  /proven/home nfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0      0
proven.weird.com:/work                  /proven/work nfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0      0
/dev/cd0a                               /cdrom  cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

--
								Greg A. Woods