Subject: Re: cvs "-u" versus "-R" (May be: potential rant about cvsup)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: BOUWSMA Beery <netbsd-user@dcf77-zeit.netscum.dyndns.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/2002 10:45:40
Mahlzeit!
%s wrote on %.3s, %lld Sep 1993

> Oh, great.  FreeBSD used "cvs -R" and NetBSD uses "cvs -u" for much the
> same purposes.  I am not sure which came first.

Well, `cvs -u' was what I was looking for -- though it seems to be
missing from the man page, whilst someone such as myself who has no
clue whatsoever about cvs would not have deduced its significance if
I had happened to try `cvs --help-options', which I didn't...

Anyway, it appears that FreeBSD incorporated the `-R' flag sometime
in may of 1997, based on an identical flag in OpenBSD.  I can't see
offhand when OpenBSD introduced this flag, nor when NetBSD added `-u'
(which neither FreeBSD nor OpenBSD use) -- probably because I'm not
adequately familiar with cvs...

If it matters, I finally got a successful -current build, based on k0deZ
that I yanked from de/uk, and it appears however that both cvsup.jp and
cvsup.no are plagued by the problem I described, where files in their
repositories appear to be transferred in corrupt form:

Server warning: RCS file error in "/usr/local/etc/cvsup/prefixes/netbsd/basesrc/
etc/etc.alpha/MAKEDEV,v": Invalid next delta 1.82 for delta 1.74
Server warning: RCS file error in "/usr/local/etc/cvsup/prefixes/netbsd/basesrc/
etc/etc.amiga/MAKEDEV,v": 54: "locks" expected
Server warning: RCS file error in "/usr/local/etc/cvsup/prefixes/netbsd/basesrc/
etc/etc.arm32/MAKEDEV,v": 115: "Semicolon" expected
Server warning: RCS file error in "/usr/local/etc/cvsup/prefixes/netbsd/basesrc/
etc/etc.atari/MAKEDEV,v": 113: "branches" expected
Server warning: RCS file error in "/usr/local/etc/cvsup/prefixes/netbsd/basesrc/
etc/etc.i386/MAKEDEV,v": 172: "Num" expected
[much snippage]

(as seen just now from cvsup.no.netbsd.org)

thanks
barry bouwsma