Subject: Re: savecore weirdness
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20020131T085429@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/2002 09:05:33
david@l8s.co.uk (David Laight) writes:
> What on earth is the workload of this system?
> 8Gb of swap seems somewhat excessive!

It used to be 1.5 Gig but I kept running out of swap when I tried to
include more than 3 states in my map database (process size about
1Gig).  Repartitioning was a whole-day affair, so I took the
opportunity to put 4 Gigs of swap on the disk.  When I added a second
disk some time later, I used the exact same partitioning so that I
could do disk-to-disk backups.

It turned out adding sufficient swap wasn't the only impediment.  I'm
also up against an address space layout limit on the x86 where I can't
get much more than 1.9Gigs of virtual address in one hunk anyway.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/