Subject: Re: serial console, X11, and keyboards
To: Chuck Cranor <chuck@research.att.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/2002 09:55:03
On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Chuck Cranor wrote:

>     we are having a problem with X11 since installing -current (including
> a fresh compile of 4.1.0 xsrc).   if the normal PC display is the console,
> everything works fine.   however, if the serial link is the console,
> then when starting X all keyboard input goes to the tty where we started
> xinit rather than to the X server itself

> < wsdisplay0 at vga1 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
> ---
> > wsdisplay0 at vga1 kbdmux 1

> < (--) Using pcvt driver (version 3.32)
> ---
> > (--) Using wscons driver

> interesting to note that X is using pcvt driver when using the PC
> display console, and using the wscons driver when using the serial
> console.

The difference is, screen 0 is not configured automatically when it's
not the console. You might be able to work around the bug in the Xserver
by arranging to configure screen 0 manually before starting X, in the
serial console case, with "wsconsfg -e vt100 0" or similar. Better, I
seem to recall that it doesn't hurt anything to uncomment the line for
screen 0 in "/etc/wscons.conf even when the PC console is used. The
start-up script just complains that screen 0 is already configured.

Frederick