Subject: Re: CVS REPOSITORY IS BROKEN (Re: cvs checkout with tag)
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/2002 11:02:25
On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Alan Barrett wrote:

> We want to check out a complete copy of (some subset of) the tree as
> of some date in the past.  We do not know any cvs commands that will
> reliably do that while paying strict attention to which files existed
> or did not exist on the trunk on particular dates.

I don't believe that's possible with "cvs" as it exists now.

The date tag doesn't mean "date on the trunk"; it just means "date".

If you want "cvs" to permit time-travel in any reasonable fashion,
you'll have to extend the format of the "CVS/Entries" file to
distinguish between the branch (branch tag), and the point on the branch
(date or static tag).

Frederick