Subject: Re: Weirdest crash ever... :)
To: None <Richard.Earnshaw@arm.com>
From: None <collver@linuxfreemail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/2002 06:18:45
On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 04:29:17PM +0000, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> Sometimes if mozilla gets confused reading your ~/.mozilla files it will
> give up on them.  After that it uses the defaults that it has already
> picked up, but no others.  It doesn't re-write the file that caused
> confusion, so the problem will persist until you identify the faulty file
> and remove it or remove them all in frustration.
>
> The same can happen if you upgrade your mozilla to a later version.
>
> So much for backwards compatibility of the config files.

Wow, that was the problem.  In my case, it happened when I imported my
configuration from Netscape 4.x.  Starting with a fresh mozilla-created
configuration causes it to remember my settings, for example whether the
sidebar is disabled.  There is a minor side effect though.  Now I mozilla
0.9.7 refuses to load some skins that it would load when I had the old
configuration.

Thanks for the hint,

Ben