Subject: Re: Tape backup recommendations wanted
To: David Brownlee <abs@formula1.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/2002 13:37:20
>	Looking at replacing a DDS3 backup for a NetBSD/i386 box.
>	Want around 50GB+ per tape.
>
>	On-Stream produce 50Gb Internal/External SCSI units for 375/645 GBP.
>	Has anyone had any experience of these?
>
>	Another option could be an 8000S 40/80GB DLT, but they're a touch
>	pricy...

A few years ago I asked for tape drive recommendations, because I had
bad experience with Exabyte and DAT.  A lot of people responded, and
everyone who had a DLT said, "They're expensive, but they're worth it".

I bought a open-box 2000 DLT drive, and I use it every week to back up
everything.  It's been rock-solid.  I've never heard anyone say anything bad
about DLT (other than the price).

Just as a bit of trivia: my wife is "encouraging" me to clean up the
computer room, and and I had a bunch of QIC-150 tapes laying around
that were old backups and other such stuff from 1993.  I read them all
off using a borrowed QIC-150 drive, and I didn't encounter a single
error.  But I doubt you're going to get 50GB/tape out of them :-)

--Ken