Subject: Re: BSDOBJDIR=/usr/src/obj causes loop and other build.sh issues
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/2002 14:57:16
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Greywolf wrote:

: # I don't know that this is presently fixable in any sane way.  The problem is
: # that there's now a top-level objdir.  I could hack it up to skip creating
: # the symlink at the top level, resulting in the objdir acting like a
: # `standard' one at that directory.
: #
: # Note that BSDOBJDIR is intended to provide an objdir tree *outside* of src.
: # If you're putting it inside the src tree, I have to wonder why you aren't
: # simply using standard objdirs...?
:
: ...because the objdirs seem to want to create /usr/obj, unless I'm
: totally missing the boat here -- which, given the overhaul the build
: system has received, is not entirely out of the question. :)

If you want "standard" objdirs, simply set BSDSRCDIR=none (or any other
nonexistent path) and you'll get one "obj" directory in each source
directory which builds.  No symlinks, no funny paths, etc.  This is the way
objdirs work best if you want them to be *inside* the source tree.

I'll file a PR myself on the issue of setting BSDOBJDIR=/usr/src/obj to
remind myself to fix it, anyway.  I agree that it's a problem, but it seems
a contorted way of building things too.  8-)

: I'm trying to give this build thing a fair chance, since without it,
: I'm having a hell of a time getting an MP kernel built (I need to
: rebuild my world first).

If you want a -current kernel without upgrading all of userland, you only
need a toolchain (once you have usable settings, "./build.sh -t" will give
you one).  Then config with the built nbconfig and build with the
nbmake-i386 script.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/