Subject: Re: Maxtor 160GB drives
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20020121T103028@wsrcc.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/2002 20:19:06
On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 10:46:44AM -0800, Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:
> I'm thinking of hosting a large database that requires just short of
> 800GB of storage.  Using Maxtor 160GB drives this would only take 5
> drives to do.  Do these Maxtor drives and the new-fangled larger
> seek-offset IDE controllers work with Netbsd yet?
>
> As I understand it the new IDE commands added another two bytes (or
> so) to the size of the seek offset, since the older seek topped out at
> ~130G.

Yes, support for this was recently added.

As a general (not NetBSD-specific) issue:
I don't know if all controllers can handle it; the hack is to
write the count and sector registers twice before writing the
extended command code. If the command is refused, there should be
some kind of a fallback mechanism.

I don't know whether this is an actual problem or not, I don't know
enough about the low-level (electrical) details of ATA.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com
Quality NetBSD CDs, Support & Service.   http://www.wasabisystems.com/